The DONA I CINEMA association organizes the International Festival Dona i Cinema – Mujer y Cine – Woman & Film. The festival was born in 2011 from the need to give more space to the audiovisual field within the framework of the October Dones Festival, organized until 2017 by DONESenART.
This contest seeks to give visibility to artistic productions by women, given their absence in all areas of the film industry, from artistic creation to distribution.
Every two years, in January, the city of Valencia is filled with films made by women and by all those voices that have no place in the hegemonic narratives. Screenings, talks, debates, masterclass… and much more!
The Festival wants to make the work of women visible at a national and international level, with a look both at the past and at the new generations of female filmmakers:
- Official Competition of feature films, short films, documentary and fiction, video creation and animation directed by women.
- Series and parallel projections to honor great directors of our cinema and of the whole world.
- Cycle Women behind the Camera: 100 years of Spanish cinema with teachers such as Cecilia Bartolomé and Pilar Miró;
- Palmarés Cycle: award-winning films in past editions;
- Valencian Women Directors Cycle: visibility of the work of local and emerging artists.
Finally, the festival is an integral part of the network of festivals in the city of Valencia, such as Mostra Viva del Mediterrani, where it collaborates with a special section of films directed by women, Short Films for Equality, a mutual collaboration of experts for the selection of films, and the most recent collaboration with HUMANFEST – Valencia International Film and Human Rights Festival, which in its eighth edition has dedicated the HUMANS section to the Dona i Cinema festival in a special section dedicated to women documentary filmmakers.
Call for the VII Dona i Cinema International Biennial from January 20 to 28, 2023 [Closed]